Tuesday 12 April 2011

So how's it going?

OK, so I'm sure you are wondering about my progress.  Well it has been a very interesting time for sure.

Firstly, have I maintained 100% raw?  No. More on this later.

So coffee is on the naughty chair with alcohol.  The change in my mood and behaviour over the past (almost) two weeks cannot be ignored.  Think 180 degrees.  If anyone is suffering from PMS, mood swings, anxiety etc, try and kick the coffee for only three days and see what happens. 

Apart from that I look much better.  My skin tone has returned, the wrinkles have gone.  Free face lift.  Just kick the coffee.

Which leads me onto triggers.  Triggers are the emeny.  They need to be hunted down and shot.  The way to deal with an enemy is to stalk it, trick it, make sure you know where it is and how strong it is.

I discovered a fantastic way to trick my enemy this week.

I was driving home on Sunday evening.  We had had a very busy few days.  Four catering assignments, two full days of workshops.  I was buggered.  As I was driving home (see, in my car), I started to dream of the Woolworths sandwhich bar.  I was hungry and feeling run down and the last thing I wanted to do was prepare more food.  So far we have the perfect environment for the trigger to win.  My mind started to wonder, at which point I caught myself thinking about what was going on.
A. I was tired.
B. I felt run down and achy.
C. I was hungry.
D. I was in my car so I could drive anywhere for something convenient.
E. I was vulnerable!  I started to make stuff up, like "I deserved it".

Thank goodness, Noel was right behind me.  He was following me home from the course and I knew that he would see me shoot off.  I have been very honest with him about my weaknesses, so he keeps an eye on me and helps me keep on track.  How was I going to explain a ham and cheese sandwhich to him?

I stopped my car.  What I really  wanted was a nice warm meal.

Steamed vegetables.  And I gave myself permission to eat potatoes.  That was it.  That was the trick.  I had something that I did want in return for something I didn't want.  It felt like win squared. All the head stuff disappeared.

So here's how it is for me.  I now plan my meals to include some steamed vegetables and I'm loving it.  I have some rice on the go for supper tonight which I'll eat with sauerkraut and a salad. I feel like I have connected with my food again, something which I definitely have no done for a while.


I'm drinking lots of tea and enjoying the new flavours I am discovering.  And of course I have a supply of Yerba Mate, which I really love!

1 comment:

  1. I should probably add that the last three meals I have made I have burnt.

    Nat

    ReplyDelete