Thursday 31 March 2011

Be careful of acid!

Towards the end of last year I was blessed with a kidney stone.  After two sleepless nights and the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced (and I have been in labour too!), I went to Carol.  Surprise surpise..."Juice fast".
I have no medical aid.  Hospital was going to cost thousands.  But hey, I am living the life of "the body can sort itself out with the correct nutrition" so I put this to the test in a very real way.

Noel sprang into action, and within hours found us a getaway in Scarborough where we could conclude the last four days of our nine day green juice fast.

The short version, it worked.  The stone dissolved, I am cured.  I don't think there has been any permanent damage.  I felt fantastic and weighed in at 66kgs, a 20kg weight loss!!

Being new at this, and of course slightly arrogant about this miracle I had performed upon my body, I launched out of the fast with wreckless abandon.  

WARNING: Do not try this at home or without supervision.

The first few meals were consumed with careful consideration, chewing slowing, all that good stuff.  But it wasn't long before everything started to taste AMAZING!  Everything.  Even spirulina took on a whole new relationship with my taste buds.  And in true Nat style, I went from fasting to feasting overnight.  OK people, think of Ice Cream who I introduced you to earlier.  Spaghetti bolognaise, creme brulee, burgers, chips, coffee in every conceivable shape and size, chocolate (no not the lovely hand crafted chocolate from Gayleen), milktart, apple pie and ice cream, white bread, you name it I either craved it or ate it. 

A few weeks ago I stopped for a pie at one of the many places I scoped out.  I scoffed this thing in about two minutes flat, not a word of exaggeration.  When I looked up, one of my old school friends was standing next to me.  Her jaw had actually dropped.  She asked me when last I had eaten.  I was embarresed to admit it, but it had only been half an hour before that.  In the car.  Mid flight.  Bag of niknaks, gone in a flash.
It was at that point that I realised what was going on.  I was behaving like a full-blown addict again.  Sneak eating, zero awareness, zero responsibility and zero care.  What had happened?  I was doing so well. 

I spent a few days watching myself, stalking myself, picking up on the clues.  And it struck me.  My body chemistry had changed.  I had tipped back into an acidic body type.  And with it came all the things I expected to happen, with a few interesting add-ons.

Four months only and here is what I see:

I have put on weight.  TADA.
I sleep more and wake up less energised.
My skin has wrinkled and lost its glow.
I have spots!
My joints ache and I have become more stiff in my muscles.
I need a jump start in the morning, usually coffee.
I handle stress with far more emotion, usually tears, often shouting.
The knocks of life often knock me down.
I have become fearful.  I lock myself into my room at night when I am alone.
My digestion has slowed down.  I have to push when I go to the loo (Sorry, you wanted it this way).  Sometimes I need a magazine.
I am more on edge and less relaxed.
I feel less happy and the gratitude thing doesn't flow.
I have cravings for crazy food that I usually don't eat.  Cake comes to mind!

Myself, the bitch, has woken up.  Talking non-stop about what a loser I am.  Tempting me when I walk into shops.  Constantly taking me back into the past, guilt, regret, pity, on and on, never ending.  She is there when I go to sleep and there when I wake up.  The same thought over and over in an ever-shrinking demented dialogue.  Drumming up issues that I didn't have with people, but now do. 

I feel like a drunk again.  Without the alcohol.


3 comments:

  1. Nats, thanks so much for your blog.
    I wanted to ask you where you are, and have been, at with sugar...
    When you first went raw, did you dump it. Did it sneak back in...?
    There was that thing I found, I"m sure you know, about the chemical comp of sugar in the body being more or less the same as alcohol, so esp of danger to addictive personalities (like us, dare I say). Hence the question.
    also, because I want to know how hard it is to ditch...
    x Kirsti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsti

    When I stopped drinking, I noticed without a doubt that my sugar cravings increased. I was also exposed to new ingredients like dates, agave etc, which I used without any thought of how they were feeding the sugar addiction.

    I would say whatever you choose to do that cutting out alcohol was much better for every aspect of my life that dealing with a sweet tooth.

    Last year, my sugar fast was cut short by the kidney stone affair.... which as you have read instigated another whole chain of events.

    The buggar with sugar is that it is in almost everything! What I would recommend as a starting point is to cut out any processed sugars and stick with the fruit. Once you have waxed that, cut out the sweet fruits and stick with the less sweet fruit such as berries, grapefruit and lemon.

    When you get a sweet craving, reach for seaweeds. It is incredible how quickly the craving goes away. Lots of cravings are connected to our bodies cry for minerals and seaweeds are loaded with them. Dulse is my favourite.

    Another way to deal with cravings is up your green leafy intake. Green leaves are also mineral rich.

    Good luck. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting Nats. Tell me more about your journey. I have a lot of the symptoms you mention.

    ReplyDelete