Tuesday 29 March 2011

Meet Jane

Yesterday I fell into a crevice of ribs, chips and fried onion rings.  I moved around in the restaurant a few times, eventually favouring a comfortable chair but risking sitting next to the window. What if someone saw me???

Of course someone saw me.  I saw the double take through the corner of my eye and started panicking, face full of sauce and stuffed with chips.  I chewed faster and faster, trying to swallow quickly so I could fall into apology the minute this person walked through the door.

Thank God.  It was Jane.

How lucky you are if you have a friend like Jane.  If I was charged with a heinous crime and sent to jail forever, Jane would be the one to forgive me first and visit me most.  So relieved I was when it was she who plonked herself down at my table with a big smile and spoke of the loveliness of taking oneself out for a meal.

The confession: my last few weeks have been plagued with binging and purging,
I can pour a packet of Niknaks into my mouth in almost one go,  I ordered not one, two pizzas and ate them both... and all the while I'm waiting for her face to change from that lovely smile into even a small crinkle of a frown.  Not Jane.  She is making those "mmmmmmm" sounds all the way through my confession, enjoying the taste with me as I reveal all.  How on earth can I wallow with this person???  Not possible.

I felt like a had had a download of therapy, a good dose of laughter and a reality check.
 
Now we have a deal.  She is my support buddy.  Whenever I have a urge to eat something ridiculous, I phone Jane.



If Jane let's me, I'll tell you more about her and her magic in another chapter.

1 comment: